My love for coffee started at a decently young age. Actually, it was my love and loyalty to
Starbucks that got off to good start when I was young. When my brother was diagnosed in 2000 with
Leukemia the nuclear family unit was turned into something else. It just wasn’t simply nuclear anymore. While my father worked to keep food on the
table and health insurance, my mother was often at the hospital with Jon. This really doesn’t sound like a big deal
until you understand that during the first year after diagnosis, Jonathan spent
over 280 days in the hospital. That’s a
lot of time without your parents being at home in a normal capacity. Also, normal capacity for my family meant
that we spent a lot of time with our parents because we were homeschooled and
our parents took that responsibility very seriously. They were always involved in our lives,
education, extracurricular activities,…etc.
Every moment was always a nurturing moment. Yep, even those moments when I was getting in
trouble for lying or shirking my chores, my parents were always trying to teach
me a greater lesson out of it. It was
pretty annoying at the time, but now I see the value and necessity of it, and
am quite thankful.
Yet, this family environment was rather shaken up with Jon’s
diagnosis. Suddenly, and for quite some
time, the simple consistency of family had become inconsistent because
everything revolved around Jon’s health and care. I’m not bitter about that. We were dealing with the situation of a loved
one’s life that was battling death. The
severity of the situation made it understandable, even to an 11 year old, but
it was still difficult.
In the midst of all this inconsistency, my mother and I
would sometimes go to Starbucks for a cup of coffee as a short but needed time
together. Starbucks at this time
was an absolute luxury in our family. Up
until this point in my life I had only had drip coffee brewed at home and Tim
Horton’s cappuccinos (which are pretty darn good). A latte was just a funny sounding word that
existed far outside my vocabulary.
Things like espresso, mocha, flavor shots, and basically the entire Starbucks
drink menu had to be explained to me. I
slowly caught on. I learned very quickly
that I liked mochas over lattes.
Raspberry sounded nice, so I opted for that once and was hooked, yet it
wasn’t quite perfect. It took a year
before I realized that the barista was making me a white chocolate raspberry
mocha. I then opted for a raspberry
mocha during my next visit and stressed the “not white chocolate, please” to
whoever took my drink order. Obviously,
I still hadn’t picked up the lingo, but I was enjoying this little adventure of
creating a drink that seemed like creating art.
Finally, I had perfected my raspberry mocha. Then my father introduced me to peppermint mochas
and I was equally hooked. These two
drinks have been a mainstay in my life for 13 years now.
13 years and I’m still drinking the same drinks, with an
occasional wild card of course. You
probably think I’m weird. Well, I’ll
just help you out, I am. But that’s beside
the point. The point in all of this was
that Starbucks was one of the few things in the early years of cancer life that
was consistent in my life that was also necessarily superficial. All around me people were dying and my own
brother was possibly doing the same thing.
I needed something superficial that could represent a consistent “safe
haven” that wasn’t going to die on me. I
could always count on any Starbucks in the city of Columbus to a) be there,
b) make what I ordered perfectly every time, and c) not "die" on me (this was pre-2008 economic collapse).
I wasn’t silly enough to cast all my hopes up on the shoulders of
Starbucks. I simply found a little
encouragement in the consistency of a drink, a barista, a company. It reminded me that outside of my own life,
there was a whole different world.
It may seem silly that I found such meaning and
encouragement in a drink and a company.
However, it’s not silly at all to me.
I think it shows the depths to which humanity can sink when faced with
pretty rough times. I found encouragement
in a pretty expensive coffee drink when the rest of my life was confusing and
dark. Unless others have been in similar
circumstances at such a young age, I don’t expect understanding. However, I think it's important for all of us to recognize, to the best of our abilities, when others are going through rough times and have compassion, even if they seem a bit nutty. Hey, offer them a Toffee Nut Mocha ;-)
The little things in life really do matter. So cheers to life with a Peppermint Mocha!

No comments:
Post a Comment